Thursday, June 30, 2011

Re: [SgFreecycle] Suggestion: Randomly select receiving party

 

I, too, seldom receive anything and I've replied minutes after receiving the email. I always find that odd.

Whenever I post something, I wait a day or two and then offer it to someone who seems like a real person. usually if they tell me something about themselves, I give it to them. And I always tell something about myself when requesting something.

I agree, very odd.

From: suelynn
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:14 PM
To: Asam
Cc: SgFreecycle@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [SgFreecycle] Suggestion: Randomly select receiving party

I have always been suspicious of the fact that there might be people like those described. Somehow, for the items that I ask for, its always quickly taken and I find it amazing that freecycler's reply would be to thank for the "overwhelming" response. Wow. Is there some kind of syndicate that has 20 members just sending out emails to respond and reserve?!? I wonder too if they have a fleet of vehicles ready to dispatch and collect! haha (maybe not so funny since nothing is impossible if for making money!!)

So, I do agree that freecyclers can practice a wait and select carefully approach.

As for me, I might hop over to the Facebook SgFreecycle where every freecycler has to have a facebook account and "active" FB.

Cheers for bringing this up!
Happy Freecycling anyway...

On 29-Jun-2011, at 8:59 PM, Asam wrote:

> Hello freecyclers,
> Given the fact that the items offered on this list are free and often of monetary value, there are many who constantly lurk around waiting to profit off any offer on high valued items (collect and sell/scrap).
> This can be inferred from the observation that high valued items (computers, televisions, pianos, etc) are always very quickly collected regardless of when the offer was posted whereas items of lower value but with similar utility and audience (clothes, books, small furniture, etc) follow a longer and more periodic (e.g. after work hours, weekends) time before being collected.
> If the above is right, then some/most of those who respond first are likely attempting to profit off the offered items, against the purpose of freecycling.
> Also consider that most of us, and more importantly, those less well off who legitimately need the offered items, would not be constantly monitoring the list. It is hence unlikely that these people would be the first to respond.
>
> My suggestion is this: If you are not in a hurry to get rid of the items you wish to offer, why not give everybody a fair chance at receiving your item? Wait for at least a few hours (best would be a day) and instead of replying to the first few who responds, randomly select one from the list of emails (take note that some will send multiple emails in an attempt to favour their chances).
>
> To make my stand clear:
> 1. I am not accusing anyone or implying that all those who respond first are attempting to profit off freecycling. However, undeniably there are people who do try to profit off others' well meaning.
> 2. What I've suggested evens everyone's chances of receiving the offered items instead of heavily biasing towards those who respond first. It does not attempt to penalise anyone.
> 3. People with legitimate reasons to receive items should not be penalised just because they cannot constantly monitor the list for items offered or cannot respond fast enough.
> 4. Of course, it is your offer posting, you can choose how you want to select the recipient. This is only a suggestion.
>
> Happy freecycling! =)
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

http://www.blessed-quiver.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___