Friday, August 19, 2011

[SimplifyMe] Re: Collard Greens

 

I love collard green and that's such a simple recipe! When I was down south I had them all the time but could never made them taste as good when I moved back north.
Thanks for the tips!

-The Tuckerbag 


--- In SimplfyMeWithTipsAndHints@yahoogroups.com, femme650 <femme650@...> wrote:
>
> Collard Greens
>
> This recipe requires that you have bacon drippings, which is common in a
> "down home" kitchen. If not, the next time you fry up some bacon just strain
> the drippings into a heat proof container and store in the fridge. This
> is a
> great addition to braising meats and cooking vegetables like okra and
> spinach. Remember - waste not want not!
>
> 1 medium smoked ham hock
> 4 cups water
> 2 lbs. collard greens, trimmed and well rinsed
> 1 teaspoons salt
> 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
> 1 tablespoon sugar
> 1/4 cup bacon drippings
>
> In a large pot, add the ham hock and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the
> heat and simmer for 1 hour, skimming the foam as needed. Chopped the cleaned
> greens into small pieces. Add the greens to the pot with the ham. Stir in
> the sugar, red pepper flakes and bacon drippings. Simmer for another 20
> minutes.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:


.

__,_._,___